Easy Apple Turnover Recipe
An apple turnover is like a mini apple pie! Follow this easy recipe to make your own hand-held apple pie turnovers in under an hour using tart Granny Smith apples.
Apple lovers: be sure to also check out our recipes for mini apple pie rosettes, easy apple crostata (pie), and gluten free apple crisp.
Homemade Apple Turnovers
What’s a turnover?
A turnover is a triangular mini hand pie featuring a puff pastry crust wrapped around a filling, which can be savory or sweet.
In this apple pie turnover, the filling will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth! But you can still eat it for breakfast 😉
Like our simple apple crostata recipe, this easy apple turnover recipe gives you all the flavors of apple pie without the stress of pie crust.
Drizzled with a simple glaze and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, a mini apple pie turnover is the perfect bite of fall!
How to Make Apple Turnovers
These apple turnovers are made easier by using premade puff pastry instead of making the crust from scratch.
If you’d rather try a handmade pie crust, you can use the crust recipe from our mini blackberry pies.
To begin, you’ll lay out the puff pastry sheets and cut into squares.
For the filling, combine your chopped apples with lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, and apple pie spice blend.
Spoon the filling onto the puff pastry squares.
Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash, then fold in half and crimp the edges with a fork.
Slit the turnover tops, brush with the remaining egg wash, and bake!
Let the apple turnovers cool a few minutes, then top with a drizzle of glaze and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar mixture.
More cinnamon apple treats for your sweet tooth:
- Roasted Stuffed Apples with Cinnamon Meringue
- Simple Apple Crostata (Rustic Pie)
- Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
- Apple Cider Donuts with Cinnamon Glaze
Apple Turnover Recipe
Apple TurnoversPrint Recipe
- 1 package frozen puff pastry (17.3 oz) thawed according to instructions on package
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples (about 3 cups) peeled, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat
- Unfold puff pastry and lightly roll out on a floured work surface with a rolling pin, just enough to seal seams
- Cut into 4 equal squares, about 5 inch
- Peel, core and dice apples and add to large bowl
- Drizzle with lemon juice and toss to coat to prevent browning
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon and apple pie spice to the apples and toss to coat
- Spoon apple mixture into the center of each puff pastry square
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water
- Brush edges with egg wash
- Fold over edges to create a triangle
- Use a fork to crimp the edges then place on baking sheet
- Cut a small slit or two in the top of the pastry
- Brush all edges and top with egg wash
- Bake for 16-18 min minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack for 5 minutes
- In the meantime, in a small bowl whisk together glaze ingredients, if using or cinnamon and sugar mixture, if using
- Drizzle glaze or sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over turnovers
- Serve warm or room temperature
- Store leftovers in refrigerator
Be sure to pin this to save the recipe for later!